This week's challenge for Todd Nesloney's Educator Learning Series (#EduLS) is to think about why you love teaching and post it via blogs and other social media platforms. Amidst all the negative we hear about teaching in today's world, the plan is to add some positivity to the conversation---because the truth is, those of us who stay in education truly DO love it, or we wouldn't be here.
I've said it and said it---but it is true---I am one of the luckiest folks I know because
I truly LOVE my job.
- As a school librarian, I get to laugh a lot. Kids are hilarious, aren't they? They just seriously crack me up. Teenagers are super-fun beings and I get to work with them every day.
- Hello, my name is Sonja and I am addicted to books. I am a book pusher as much as I am a book consumer---and I have a constant stream of students, teachers, & other librarians into whose hands & hearts I get to push awesome reads!
- I have just enough structure in my work day to make me feel cozy without it ever becoming humdrum. Within a few set parameters, there is just NO TELLING what kinds of adventure each day will bring.
- Opportunities to really make a difference in the lives of others.
- My students keep me young. I see in them that beautiful effervescence of youth, and hope I can retain mine longer for recognizing it living within them.
- My students push me to excellence. It is for THEM that I strive to be better every day than the day before in my work. It is for THEM that I want to learn more, be more, grow more. I want to reach them in meaningful ways and provide the education & mentoring they need.
I could go on and on with stories and photos and other lovelies about my gig---and I will--- every day this week on Twitter, Instgram, and Facebook as I continue to participate in this awesome challenge!