Monday, September 7, 2015

What are you reading?

Happy Labor Day to all!

On this beautiful day of relaxation, I give you the list of what I'm currently reading/have just finished reading:

1. Just finished up listening to the amazing audiobook of Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind read by Linda Stephens. It had been a million years since I read the book--honestly I'm  not sure I ever actually finished it as a pre-teen/teen reader. It was my "Rory Gilmore" book for the YA Buccanneers Summer Reading Challenge--and I caught a sale on Audible.  The resilience of Scarlett and the quiet dignified strength of Melanie completely stand the test of time despite my cringing at the use of  the word "ejaculated" instead of "said" (okay--I don't love the use of other words or situations which are clearly prejudiced--however--I understand history and the time & place the story takes place as well as the viewpoint from which the story is told. What I don't understand is the fabulous Ms. Mitchell's continued use of this word! ACK!)
Linda Stephens is a GENIUS.  If you can rock a great Gerald O'Hara as well as a Scarlett then you have my vote! I plan to read Alice Randall's The Wind Done Gone soon while this one is still fresh in my memory.

2. The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough. This summer during my Teachers Write "summer camp" this author wrote the most lovely, lyrical post about writing.  I knew then that I must read her work. I am so drawn in by this story of humans as pawns in an eternal game played by old adversaries, Love and Death. It is just absolutely beautifully written.
"He recognized the song; "Walk Beside Me." But her voice nailed him to the floor. 
It made him feel as though something had slipped under his skin 
and was easing everything nonessential straight from his bones."

3. Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg.  In all that I read, I typically always have a book on writing going.  I love this one in that it is simple to pick through it and read a short chapter here and there. It is a sort of atta-girl--you can do it book for me.

4. Lastly, I'm now listening to After I'm Gone by Laura Lippman on Audible.  Ooh, but I AM enjoying this who-done-it!

So what are YOU reading?

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen the movie Gone With The Wind or read the book. Honestly I haven't had an interest. BUT I never thought about listening to the audiobook. I think that'll be the next one I listen too! Thanks for the idea!

    I just finished The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. It was such a weird book! But I'm glad I read it. And I just finished You: A Novel by Caroline Kepnes. Both books were thrills (talk about some crazy dreams!) but You was CRAZY!

    I just started Bone Gap by Laura Ruby. I'm not that far into it but intrigued!

    ReplyDelete