Tuesday, June 16, 2015

And Summer Begins

I am officially on summer break now.  As normal, my to-do list is L-O-N-G and will most likely exceed the time constraints of summer break. I'm okay with this--as long as progress is made, I don't really sweat it too much.

My biggest goals for the summer revolve around my home this year.  I recently read Marie Kondo's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and so I am KonMari-ing the house this summer.  I had no idea the book was an international sensation when I bought it on Audible.  I really just happened upon it, and given the fact that my bedroom has become the stash-and-dash "junk drawer" of the house, I knew it was time to try something completely new.

This may surprise you---I guess people generally assume librarians are completely organized-by-nature folks--but I have a REALLY difficult time organizing my space.  Books?  No problem.  My home?  Different story altogether.

I tend towards sentimental and I like "stuff." I have many interests (crafting, photography, reading, cooking, genealogy, writing) and I have stuff  hanging around in each of these categories. The time has come for a thorough cleaning up.  Okay, the time came a while back---but it is so HUGELY overwhelming to me...much easier to procrastinate!

Until now...Marie Kondo gives us a very detailed order on how to do this thing, and this summer I am ON IT, baby.

I'll keep you posted...but I'll tell you this.  I already feel lighter, and my drawers are already more lovely.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to know I'm not the only librarian with a messy house! My bedroom is a disaster at the moment, and we're planning on purging for a garage sale in July. My problem will be juggling all the reading with all the housework...Have to admit, the rainy weather helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that book also and am motivated to do the same in my space. I was a little overwhelmed by the idea of doing it, until I read somewhere online that the process can take six months. That made me feel better! I'm moving at the end of this year, so that is my goal. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete