Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Summer Reading Challenge

I am a reader, of course.
Always have been.
I was the kid who loved going to the public library every Saturday with my mom and finding the perfect books for myself.
I was the kid whose love for the library only deepened my love for also owning my own books.
I was the kid who fell asleep--with the lights still blazing in my room--while reading into the wee hours of summer days.
I am still that kid--just older. ;)

My point is...I would read regardless, but I really enjoy a good reading challenge--especially during the summer months.  This year I am participating in the YA Buccaneers Summer Reading Challenge.


One of the things I love about this challenge is that it leaves plenty of room to read what you want to read while pushing you just enough to make it interesting.  It can be as interactive or as personal as you want it to be---by tweeting your progress, for example.  Not gonna lie--I also love that they included a Rory Gilmore book square--SO.MUCH.FUN!

Here's where I am so far:

I've read a few more books this summer--but they didn't fit on the board!  This isn't a discourager for me at all (as I've mentioned before--I am a reader!) in reading what I want to read---if you participate in a challenge, don't let something like that be a discourager to YOU in your reading choices--read what you WANT to read, folks.  

Also, I must add that I reread (via audiobook) The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (and I'll probably listen to that one many, many more times as I attempt this whole KonMari-ing of my home thing) and my revisiting of an old love--Fahrenheit 451---was made new again by listening to Tim Robbins narrate the audiobook--FAN-FLIPPIN-TASTIC, y'all!

So, if by chance you are stuck in a reading rut and just need a nudge out of the doldrums--try a reading challenge this summer.  You just may find, as I have, that it is reinvigorating to your love of the written word. 

6 comments:

  1. Maybe that's what I need to do, find a reading challenge to get me out of my reading rut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know about the Rory Gilmore book list until you mentioned the Rory Gilmore square! So fun. Your summer reading challenge is very similar to the Summer Book Bingo that I linked to in my post today. I'm the kid who always loved the summer reading challenge at the library. I'm so glad our library has one for adults who still love reading challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way this challenge is set up! It would also be fun to do with kids. I've read quite a bit this summer, think it would be fun to see how many of these boxes I have filled. Hmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way this challenge is set up! It would also be fun to do with kids. I've read quite a bit this summer, think it would be fun to see how many of these boxes I have filled. Hmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it seems like such a fun thing to do with kids, too! hoping to create a little something with this as my inspiration for my HS kids!

      Delete