Saturday, May 25, 2013

Almost Home by Joan Bauer


There are many wonderful things about being a middle school librarian.  Getting to read amazing books by fantastic authors is indeed high on the list.  

I've long been a fan of Joan Bauer's work and I'm especially fond of her underdog-makes-good stories like Hope was Here and Rules of the Road.  She just has this magical way of writing that always makes me feel like her characters are not only actual people, but people that I know and love. 

Sugar Mae Cole might just be one of my all-time favorite characters, and that's saying something!  I absolutely love her voice, and her wisdom, and her strength throughout all her many trials and tribulations.  

Hard times hit Sugar and her sweet mama Reba, leaving them homeless and in charge of a puppy named Shush.  They may be down, but don't count them out! Saving their world and impacting those around them with their sweetness-and-strength combination makes this book a fun and inspiring read.

Grab it up and get cozy in a comfy chair---
Read on, Gentle Readers; Read on...

Mrs. S


1 comment:

  1. This one got a lot if love from the Cybils last year, and the cover has about the cutest puppy ever on it. My favorite Bauer is still Rules of the Road, though!

    ReplyDelete