Tuesday, February 16, 2016

All the Bright Places


She strode up to my desk.
Angry.
Fuming.
Words burning on her tongue.
Fury in her eyes.

I was on a call.
She waited.
Not patiently.
Her eyes boring into me.

As I hung up the receiver, she said,
I am SO mad at you right now.
You knew.  You KNEW
and you didn't even warn me.

Eyes welling with tears now.
Finger-jabbing in my direction
Illustrating her intensity.

A moment to breathe.
Quiet now, she speaks again.
Almost whispering.
I am Violet.
I am Violet and I LOVED him.
And he LOVED me.

I keep telling myself it isn't real,
that it is just a book.
Tears flowing freely now,
I hand her a tissue.
My eyes now welling with tears, I say,
I know. I know.

And SHE SHOULD HAVE FIXED HIM.
She says.
HE SHOULD HAVE STAYED.

But we cannot fix anyone else,
I say.
The gift is to love one another as we are.

I know.
She says slowly.
But I am Violet. I AM Violet.
My job is to make everything okay.
It's what I do.

Breathe.
I tell her.
Breathe.

I don't cry.
Not in public, she says.
That's right, I say.
Your allergies are acting up.
Exactly, she says, taking another tissue.

She says,
I love this book.
It is everything.
I cried for hours last night.
Hours.

I cried and then I called my best friend.
I told her all about the book.
Everything.
And then I took it over to her because she has to read it.

And I need you to know I'm writing an alternative ending.
I KNOW it ended this way.  I know that.
But I'm writing my ending.
And I'm coming to book club today.
I'll be there.

(this was how my 1st period began today #truth)

3 comments:

  1. Now I have to check this book out! Great capture of how your student loved/hated/was moved by the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! book club decided to continue our conversation over this book this week, too. It has captured so many of my students. So thankful for books that move us, and for students who are moved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this not EXACTLY what we want to happen with every book we place in a student's hands? Kudos for making the perfect match; well-played, librarian!

    ReplyDelete