Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Pen & Pigment




I seriously work with the most amazing folks on the planet.  Truly. 

Back in August, I started working on a heavy weeding of my ancient and rather large Reference section.  Enormous might be a better word choice, come to think of it. 

I have used many of these books to create a variety of book displays.  Thanksgiving turkeys, Christmas trees, a giant bookish snowman, a Valentine heart.  All were lovely & fun, but honestly they are taking up valuable bookshelf real estate that I am going to need to put to better use. 


                         

 (a pictorial stroll down memory lane!)

So, I started weeding, but what to do with all those sturdy books?  hmmmm.....

The art department at my campus is fabulous.  FABULOUS.  Upon my asking if they would be interested in joining up for an altered book project, they were full-fledged GO, and so our project was born.  
Pen & Pigment.  Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?  Yep, that's the name of our collaborative effort, I guess you could say.  More creative than saying The Library & The Art Department.  

Fast Forward to last night.  

We held our art show in conjunction with another school event to get folks here.  The students' work was displayed in the library and light refreshments were served.  

The work will continue to be on display (on a very.tall.shelf.) for a bit.  I'm overjoyed that these students were able to creatively breathe new life into these old books.  





                                 

Bonus: I got to use my mama's vintage punch bowl.  :)

I wish you could take a look through these amazing pieces of art in person because the pics don't really do them justice (nor does the one of the punch bowl because it is SO pretty in real life!) but I'm thrilled to get to share this collaborative event with you.

Life is so good, y'all.

7 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I love the varied ideas of the students. I've done altered books before with my students, and it was such a beloved and creative project. I love that out of your "weeds", beautiful flowers grew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! what a lovely way of putting it!

      Delete
  2. Wow! These projects look amazing. I would love to have seen more of them. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are AMAZING! Such creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I am so impressed with my student's abilities!

      Delete
  4. P.S. I love the name of the club as well.

    ReplyDelete