As a new-to-the-high-school librarian, I have been pleasantly surprised over and over again with my students. Teens are just FUN to work with, man. Yesterday afternoon we did a bit of spring decorating including a book display with books in a giant Easter basket along with some giant plastic Easter eggs. Before we even had the table finished I had kids coming up to tell me how pretty it looked and how cool the giant eggs & basket were. We even had a few ask if they could take selfies with the eggs! This morning, two football players (and all-around nice guys) decided the two sides of the large blue egg would make eggcellent hats. They cracked me up & were totally onboard with me posting the pics on our library Instagram page. Who knew these would be such a hit?
Yes, there are occasions when I see students making poor choices, but, for the most part, my day consists of seeing:
- friends supporting one another through hard times
- kids offering comfort when a friend is stressed
- students working hard to complete assignments
- students chilling out with one another & being silly
- kids recommending books they love to one another
- rousing games of chess & checkers
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I LOVE my job. I'm so glad I made the move out of my middle school comfort zone and into this new world that is the high school. I have found my place to make a difference.