Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Genrefying

Day 10 of the Slice of Life Challenge from Two Writing Teachers


The genrefication is moving along swimmingly.  By the time I left work today I had completed two sections of the first bookshelf--which I realize doesn't sound like much but is right on target for the goal I've set for completing an entire side of each Fiction bookshelf per week. 

After much deliberation, I've settled on the following genres to label:

Realistic Fiction 
Fantasy
Sci-Fi
Mystery 
Adventure
Classic
Historical Fiction
Story Collection

These labels will be placed at the top of the book spine, and I have some secondary labels available for the bottom of the spine (these won't change the location of the book, but will just aid students in finding what they want within a genre section) of Sports, Romance, and Suspense. 

So, all the books will be labeled, have their spine labels changed to reflect the genre, and be changed in the catalog.  I'm also making sure to denote the series in the cataloging (ex. Need Chronicles, bk. 2) as I go along.  

My plan is to label all the books first, and then do the big switcharoo once I have a better idea the size area I will need for each section.  

It is a big undertaking, but I love being able to see the progress as I move along and the students have been so excited to know this is where we are headed.


4 comments:

  1. It Stresses me out just thinking about it! BUT it is something I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;) If you think about the entire process all at once it DOES seem overwhelming and super-stressful. But, how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! I keep telling myself that. After seeing the success with it at my former school, though, I absolutely KNOW it is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This site really usefull, thanks thesassyblibliohile

    ReplyDelete